Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Drab to Display Fab - Updating Cork Bulletin Strips with Washi Tape

Washi Wonderful!

Last year the latest update to displaying student work was to use painted or cutely decorated clothespins with tacks hot glued to the back.  This prevented having to pull staples each time you wanted to change out the display.  I loved the idea, but I unfortunately didn't get that far last year.  I, however, was determined to accomplish something along those lines this year.

As I was perusing the craft aisle earlier this summer, I stood contemplating what amazing things could be done with Washi Tape.  I hadn't discovered anything quite mind blowing about this fancy tape as of yet, but I knew it was something I loved and I wanted to buy as many different colors and designs as I could get my hands on.  Even though I was compelled to purchase one of each color, I was able to keep my desires in check and only purchased one or two; knowing that someday I would come across some grand use for it and I would want some at my immediate disposal.

One evening as I sat looking at my purchase in my newly established craft/teacher home office/room, it dawned on me that this thin sized Washi Tape is exactly the same width (or close) to the cork board strips hanging in the hallway outside my classroom.  I would cover up that brown, drab cork strip with this beautiful tape!  I couldn't wait to go to school and try this out! Prior to making my trip, I decided on using binder clips instead of clothespins.  Below are some of the pictures I took.




The Washi Tape was not as sticky as I thought it would be and so I added a small amount of adhesive spray at various points along the cork strip.  I also used a staple to secure the binder strip, but I will be putting a flat headed tack later to help secure the clip better.

I hope this helps some of you who hope to brighten up your display area a little bit more. 

I know sometimes the cork stripping gets broken and falls out.  I, fortunately, didn't have that issue with mine, but I think if you fold a thin layer of paper up and fill the space prior to covering with the tape, you might be able to camouflage the pieces that are missing.

Melissa DePriest
First Grade Cubbie

No comments:

Post a Comment