Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Halloween Writing and Art Fun!

     I am always looking for great ways to get my students engaged in the writing process.  I happened upon this wonderful book by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler entitled Room on the Broom.  My students loved the story and were instantly sucked into the idea of thinking of who they would have room for on their broom.  This story is filled with rhymes and was a great way to look at word families.  The art project takes a bit of time for the teacher, but it is well worth it when you see the completed project hanging about your classroom!

     I foraged my yard for small sticks and then used rubber bands to bind craft raffia to make the broom's end.  The part that makes this project cute is taking pictures of students acting like they are riding a broom.  I had students use a yard stick for a broom when I took their picture.  I cut their pictures out and then placed it over the little brooms I made.  I glued these down to the writing paper using a hot glue gun. 


     Students are then ready to write about who they will have join them on their broom.  Students can even color in a background to add to the artwork.  Happy Hallowriting!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment